smtp talking to loopback

I have found that in smtp.c there is code to prevent me
from sending mail back to myself. Why is this considered
bad?? What I want to do is send mail back to myself on
a different port (where I have a sendmail running) to
perform some special processing. Maybe there should be
a check for a port other than the SMTP port, and if
that is the case, then figure that the maintainer knows
what they are doing and let it through. Does this
seem reasonable???

/mrg