a stable zmailer version?

Howdy, I'm going to be running a 3200+ member mailing list over
28.8kbps and want to find the most efficient way to do this.  I tried
qmail, but it's a bandwidth hog (it took 8.5 hours to make one pass
through the address list, holding up all other mail in the meantime).

I'd like to try zmailer but am having problems.  Main problems:

Which version to install?  I'm running RedHat Linux 4.0 on a P166/32MB
system.  I tried to install 2.99.42 but although it compiled it
wouldn't deliver mail locally and spitted out can't unlink errors in
the log file.  Tried 2.99.41 and it also compiled and seemed to work
well at first but brought down my machine quite spectacularly when I
fed it a 40KB message to 3200 recipients.

What's a good testing setup for sending to that many recipients
(keeping in mind I'll want to 1. use a bandwidth efficient protocol,
and 2. fill up the bandwidth available to get the list out quickly).
I used an :include: list containing all 3200 addresses in my first
test.  This is what brought down my machine without it sending a
single message out.  I got core dumps when I tried simple commands
like "ls" and "shutdown".

Ultimately, I'll be using Smartlist to feed messages to
/usr/lib/sendmail I haven't yet set up Smartlist, perhaps I should.

Advice would be much appreciated.

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@rahul.net              East Palo Alto, CA