Re: A bunch of problems with zmailer

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   This was a deliberate design decision.  Zmailer never removes
> duplicates.

Hmm. It seems, it sometimes does (look at the code for maprrouter() and
the handling of db expansions). I'm sure there are points in favour of not
removing duplicates, but it would be great if this could be configurable.
(I'd do it, but I'm just a beginner with zmailer, and I don't want to make
disastrous mistakes).

>   I think Rayan liked having all the header lines line up.  If you look in
> ./router/conf.c there is a "wanttabs" variable that you can set to 0.

Thanks, found it, changed it, great :)

>   expn and vrfy can be quite expensive in Zmailer, so I normally disable
> their use.  There is a command-line option that tells the smtpserver to
> enable vrfy/expn.  The smtpserver actually handles an expn/vrfy request by
> forking a router,and execs server() in server.cf

Well, it seems there is another problem. I prints the verifiyed address
just fine, but then emits "5.4.0 Unable to verify that address":

expn test1@uni-paderborn.de
250-Ursula Schwolle <ulla>
250-Swen Thuemmler <swen>
250 Ursula Schwolle <ulla>
501 5.4.0 Unable to verify that address

Another problem: this does not work from remote:
220 uni-paderborn.de ZMailer Server 2.99.42 #1 ESMTP+IDENT ready at Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:23:44 +0100
helo linux.uni-paderborn.de
250 uni-paderborn.de Hello linux.uni-paderborn.de
vrfy test1@uni-paderborn.de
Connection closed by foreign host.

All I get is a closed connection :(

> > 5. A warning. Don't compile with -xO2 on solaris, this seems to break
> > mailbox and some other programs. We had some cases of lost mail (most in
> > combination with elm).
>
>   This would be compiler dependant.  Is this the Sunsoft or GCC compiler?
> (I guess Sunsoft...)

Yep, Sunsoft. Next compile will be with gcc.

>   This isn't needed.  The scheduler will not attempt to establish more
> than one smtp connection at a time with any particular host.

Great. But I'm still puzzled by the warning from scheduler. According to
the manualpage, the expample code should work. Hmm.

Greetings, Swen