Re: To do sendmailism, or not ? (Apparently-To:)

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Thu, November 21, 1996 at 22:26:57 (+0200), Matti Aarnio wrote: ]
> > Subject: To do sendmailism, or not ? (Apparently-To:)
> >
> > 	I have thought hard wether or not to do what
> > 	I consider 'sendmailism'; namely removing the
> > 	current 'To: some-comment:;' being generated
> > 	at the router when no 'To:' header exists, and
> > 	replace that by adding sendmail-like 'Apparently-To:'
> > 	header at the delivery time at the mailbox (and
> > 	perhaps sm) channels.
>
> I'll vote against "apparently-to:".  I don't like it, and I don't think
> it is of any real benefit.

It is!! What I use it for is to grab the value within
the SMTP MAIL To:<> command and to preserve this within
the email itself - else this information gets lost.

Now, when my users download mail via POP3 they are
able to sort the mail based upon the orignal
SMTP MAIL To:<> line - which without the
Apparently-To: line would be impossible (since the
information has not been preserved...)

At the mo I need to bodge this in (actually,
i;ve broken it recently & need t fix it) so
would be really nice it was within official
zmailer...

Regards,

aid