apostrophe in usernames?

Hi,

Does anyone know the current RFC status of special tokens with
regard to apostrophes appearing in the username part of an email
address(within the <>), i.e. the following error shows the difficulty:

<<- MAIL From:<Bonnie.O'Dwyer@UAlberta.CA> BODY=8BITMIME SIZE=2375
->> 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments (this is abnormal, investigate!)

RFC822 does not list " ' " as a special, and I cannot find any (grep )
reference in the rfc's for apostrophe at all (a double quote mark is
a token, but it seems there is no discussion of a single quote).

This is under ZMailer version 2.99.10mea.

Out of curiosity, do more recent ZMail's handle this gracefully, or is
this indeed a true syntax error that does require this error handling?
I would rather the source MTA leave out the apostrophe, but without
cannon-fire, I might not be able to convince them.

Thanks,
--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (403) 492-8226