Re: fighting junk mail in zmailer

On 11 Oct 1996, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> I've just been looking at smtpserver.conf, and it is nice.
>
> It allows me to say "turn on checking of MAIL FROM if the sender is
> from earthlink.net, ppgsoft.com or interramp.com" and in server.cf I
> can say
>
> 	if the MAIL FROM address is on the list of known spammers
> 		sleep( 14400 );
>
> That should put a crimp in the style of sendmail, which most spammers
> seem to use.
>
> Now, I need an efficient way of reading a list of addresses into an
> array.  I don't know zmsh that well; could someone provide me with a
> way?

Yes this would be a very "nice" feature. At present I just refuse SMTP from
the sites I've noticed as being problematic - might be a bit of overkill
but most of these sites are "business" type domains, which I don't want
to deal with anyway :-) But it would be much nicer if we could filter
via the sender rather than prohibit by machine/domain.

Here's my current list in smtpserver.conf:

# problem children:
usa1.moneyworld.com     !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING!
dfw-ix4.ix.netcom.com   !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING!
dfw-ix9.ix.netcom.com   !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING!
andorra.it.earthlink.net  !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMMING! - offender in past was jon@lookingglass.net via ip-Ruid-P0-1.lookingglass.net to B@andorra.it.earthlink.net from Tom@nice.com!
smtp2.interramp.com     !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING! - offender in past was <cfa@interramp.com> sending to joel6783@aol.com list!
saturn.web2000.net     !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING! - offender in past was Mark Hanson <finally@saturn.web2000.net> at 206.31.113.62 via saturn.web2000.net sending to Finally@saturn.web2000.net list!
ns1.alliedsystems.com     !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING! - offender in past was wealth ([206.173.4.45]) via ns1.alliedsystems.com by aj@[207.76.230.8] !
omni.cyberpromo.com     !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING! - offender in past was max-nc-108.connectnet.com [206.64.43.108] sending to newage@omni.cyberpromo.com list!
shell.flinet.com     !SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING! - offender in past was wpb47.flinet.com [206.102.216.47] via "awareness" <awareness@flinet.com> !
enterprise.america.com	!SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING! - offender in past was local host "lizard"  via Firstlook <1stlook@america.com> !
[199.104.114.3]		!SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING!
emout16.mail.aol.com	!SMTP refused from this site - DO NOT ALLOW SPAMING! - offender in past was ViFriends@aol.com !

--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (403) 492-8226