Re: Zmailer and large alias files

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Brian Fisk wrote:
> Does anyone know of any performance issues regarding using very large
> aliases files?  Is there a point where performance of the router (either
> because of slow name lookups, excessive memory resources, etc) becomes a
> serious bottleneck?
>
> On a project I am working on, the easiest method to do what we want to
> do is to have an aliases file that contains between 50K and 100K entries.
>
> If this is a problem with the standard "newaliases" command (that is, an
> ordered list), how hard is it to use a different file format? It seems
> like it would be as simple as changing the relation line in aliases.cf,
> but I was wondering if there were any snags in that plan.

You've got it.  You could probably get reasonable performance out of
ndbm/gdbm for that size pool of names.

If you want to use something fancy, you can always add code to the zsh
library so that it understands whatever database format you're using.  One
of the nice things about ZMAILER is the ability to plug in other databases
and use them in the router.

-Andy

(this sig left intentionally blank)