Re: Error: trying to talk to myself?

> I've just gotten a slew of different error messages like these.. A
> similar message appears in my logs. This was after rebooting my system to
> for a quick kernel upgrade - I manually started zmailer after things
> looked good. Any ideas?

	It gives me an impression that for some reason the system
	does not recognize its own name in every case.

	Basically the local hostname should be listed (along with its
	aliases) at the $MAILVAR/db/localnames -file.  At that file the
	lookup is handled (in default configuration) in case insensitive
	manner, while  /etc/mail.conf  -defined triplet of variables
	($orgdomain/$mydomain/$hostname)  are not matched as reliably, as
	they use case SENSITIVE handling at tokenized regexp matching.

	So a healthy advice:  ALWAYS LIST ALL VARIANTS OF THE SYSTEM
			      HOSTNAME INTO THE ``localnames'' DATABASE!

	Changeing the configuration scripts to be more tolerant is also
	an option, of course -- you need to add a few strategical
		$(recase -l "$domain")
	into proper places -- and not to ruin local-part of addresses
	(some target systems may be case-sensitive there!)

	/Matti Aarnio

> ---------------------------------------
> >From potsmaster@waste.orgWed Mar  6 17:32:20 1996
> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 17:19:57 -0600
> From: potsmaster@waste.org
> To: user@remote.com
> Cc: potsmaster@waste.org
> Subject: Delivery problems with your mail
>
> A copy of your message is being returned to you due to difficulties
> encountered while attempting to deliver your mail.
>
> Very often people attempt to send mail to USERIDs, which are not
> known to this particular system.
>
> The following errors occurred during message delivery processing:
>
> <smtp WASTE.org user@WASTE.org 65535>: Trying to talk with myself!

....  Yup,  /etc/mail.conf: orgdomain=waste.org ?