Re: ^M

> > > zmailer is very picky about following things:
> > >
> > > Illegal-Object: Syntax error in Message-ID: value found on colin.muc.de:
> > >         Message-ID:	<457@tavakol.muc.de>
> > >         ^-CR without LF (newline)
> > > Unfortunately, a lot of our PC users use DOS/Windows which only end
> > > lines by CR.
> > >
> > > Perhaps it should be possible to tell router to be lazy about these
> > > things?

	I looked up, and I believe you use my lattest version ?
	It should handle that case gracefully..
	What really puzzles me, is the pointer of error location;
	is it really at the begin of the line, or is that some sort
	of an artifact from your email MUA ?  If it is real, I feel
	the input was:

		sometext LF CR
		more text LF CR

	which is handled as:

		sometext LF
		CR more text LF
		CR ...

	and might lead to that error indication pointer.
	The CR character is discarded at the scan, after generation of
	the error indication, though..

	How the message was input to the system ?

> > We haven't run into this problem... what mailer are your DOS/Windows users
> > using?
> >
> > I believe RFC822 specifies that CRLF be sent.  If this is the case, you
> > should get a compliant mailer (perhaps Eudora).
>
> Bruce, the problem is not: What is RFC compliant. I know RFC 822. So
> zmailer does. But in a production system, there are so many broken
> mailers talking to you that it might be a good idea to be a bit more sloppy..
>
> e.g. smtpsever doesn't allow dashes (-) in the HELO parameter (at least
>      did in old versions)

	An example, please!  "HELO foo-bar" ?

> some DOS implementations sent envelope addresses like
> from <"full name" <user@host>>
>
> It's all not compliant, but what can you do? Customer says, we bought
> this mailing system and want use it..

	This would not necessarily indicate errorneous software, just
	that ignorant users can get it to do wrong things..

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>