Re: Strange behaviour

> Hello,
> I'm running ZMailer scheduler (2.99.25)
> on a SparcStation 20/61 with Solaris 2.4.
> Sometimes the load average begins to grow up being the scheduler the main
> consumer.
> Checking the log files we noticed that the smtp log files grow rapidly
> (500 Mb in 24 hours).
> If we restart the scheduler the problem stops for a couple of hours.
> We usually have about 60 mails in the queue and deliver ~7000 mails per
> day.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes, and hopefully an effective solution as well. (2.99.26)

The skenario goes like this:
	- Messagefiles 120, 121, 122, 123 are given to transporter
	  with selection pointing to - say - costec.com.pe
	- Scheduler is restarted
	- Scheduler scans the queue, and spots message 121 to be
	  busy, and 120 to be complete. Messages 122, 123 are pending.
	- Scheduler creates channel/starts transporter for
	  those two, but meanwhile the original transporter
	  has completed 122
	- New transporter gets jobspec  "122 costec.com.pe",
	  and opens the file with selection -> no jobs, and
	  quickly issues "#hungry" report to the scheduler
	- The new scheduler gets the report, checks the queue,
	  and behold: feeds it again (because it is unprocessed,
	  no reports came back to it..) and we have this loop

For the past week or so I have tried to develope effective
way to plug that problem, and I think I found it by having
transporters to report "#resync XXX" for each message file
that they don't find any jobs in.  The scheduler does then
discard its memory data about the file, and tries to pick it
up at next directory scan.  I seem to have some sort of success
on this, perhaps I will believe it tomorrow, and release the
sources.

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>