Parsing of machine::user@relay syntax...

We have a couple of machines at our site that are only connected via DECnet.
When someone sends mail to our DECnet/SMTP host, and the mail is forwared
from there to a SMTP machine, the address appears as follows at the
destination:

	dechost::user@relay

where dechost is the DECnet only machine, user the user there, and relay
the host that has both DECnet and SMTP on it. This address goes through
VMS PMDF and BSD sendmail just fine, but zmailer (2.99.?) chokes on it
with the following error:

	dechost:  :user@relay
	        ^-illegal end of address

I traced the sequencer, and this message is generated before any parsing by
the router() or crossbar() is done, so I cannot fix it in the scripts.
Has anyone seen this problem before and (beg/hope) fixed it?

Thank you in advance,

Jens Petersohn

  Jens Petersohn                      Internet: jkp@physics.utoledo.edu
  Systems Manager                               jkp@uoft02.utoledo.edu
  McMaster Hall 2010                  Bitnet:   jkp@uoft02
  University of Toledo
  Toledo, OH 43606                    BellNet:  (419) 537-2589 (Campus ph.)

                 Arts & Sciences Instrumentation Center
  Department of Chemistry             Department of Physics and Astronomy