Re: Scheduler zombies

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> 	Propably running the scheduler with "-s".
> 	There appears to be problems on all platforms.
..
> > Misformed diagnostic: smtpclient: Cannot open control file "local/175" from "/var/spool/postoffice/scheduler" for "smtp/wimsey.com"as uid 0! (m)
> > Misformed diagnostic: mailbox: Cannot open control file "local/191" from "/var/spool/postoffice/scheduler" for "local/(null)"as uid 0! (m)
> > Misformed diagnostic: smtpclient: Cannot open control file "local/184" from "/var/spool/postoffice/scheduler" for "smtp/cbcstereo.com"as uid 0! (m)

  I double checked the zmailer script (I'm using the default one), and it
just does a $MAILBIN/scheduler with no params.

  I've also noticed some other things:

   - I've been able to start smtpserver with sendmail running with the
status of "accepting connections".  How could this happen?  Shouldn't I
have got a "Can't bind to port" error or something?  (Not that I wasn't
doing this when I experienced the above errors.)

  - Our router recently decided to stop using RIP, and my mail machine
lost its default route.  The result of this was that the smtpserver
wouldn't take connections, even from "telnet localhost 25".

I think there is something very weird with my port....

Tom