Re: smtpserver aborts

> Hi,
>
> With the new upgrade to zmailer 2.99.10, I'm seeing a large number of
> aborted smtp transactions. Strangely these are initiated from only
> a few sites. All other incoming traffic is normal. The frequency is
> either 1/2 hour or 1 hour, and the hosts never seem to give up.
>
> [this was not seen in my older zmailer 2.2m8. Platform is Ultrix 4.0]

	I have seen similar behaviour for ages from several
	sources, but have never been able to figure out what
	is going on.

	One case is with BROKEN UCX (?) which considered a case
	of not having IDENT service on a VMS as a valid reason to
	tear down ALL connections in between the remote server,
	and the VMS machine...  One choice o that is not to use "-a"
	option on the SMTPOPTIONS -line of the /etc/zmailer.conf ..
	(But it won't solve a case when the sender is a well-behaving
	 UNIX machine -- unless the sender has a firewall which
	 cuts the line, when it gets an IDENT query ?)

> Can anyone hazard a guess as to what is going on? Does the foreign
> site never receive our 220 banner line; do we never receive a HELO; and
> why? - is this bug in the way the smtpserver handles the ports, or is
> incoming data being dropped, or outgoing data sent prematurely before
> the connection to the foreign host is solidly established?

	Sometimes I have thought that the problem is on the remote
	system which is unable to receive longer responce lines, than
	some odd limit -- like 80 chars..

> Could this behavior be considered as part of a security problem, i.e.
> repeated attempts to break in on port 25?

	Hardly, who would gain anything from such ?
	(And there is nothing to break into in ZMailer's SMTP-server..)

> An example of 1 particularly stubborn site follows (this is occuring
> every 1/2/hour, only the last 4 entries are shown):

	Sounds like a message in sendmail's  "-q30m" resend queue..

	If it really is that regular, you might consider setting up
	an  tcpdump/snoop -session between your two hosts, and look
	things to show up to see, what is going on...

> 23745#	connection from UNKNOWN@MORSE.NORCEN.COM (port 41992)
> 23745w	220 stoney.phys.ualberta.ca Server ESMTP+AUTH 2.99.10mea #1 ready at Sun, 29 Jan 1995 19:31:43 -0700
> 23745#	remote from [192.131.137.11]
> 23745#	aborted: session terminated

	The lattest I have seen this kind of behaviour from, is
	one SGI, however that problem has been intermittent.
	That is, it has also been able to talk with my server...

> The aborts terminate some time later than the initial connect. It seems as
> if both sides are deadlocked, waiting for each other's input.

	Remind's me...  Just today I found out about a broken Windows-NT
	SMTP-server:

castor:~|915$ telnet smtp.tukkk.fi smtp
Trying 130.232.66.11 ...
Connected to smtp.tukkk.fi.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.tukkk.fi PostalUnion/SMTP[2] v2.1.1 Ready Mon Jan 30 12:04:16 1995
EHLO foo
250-smtp.tukkk.fi says Hello
250-HELP
250-7BITMIME
250-VRFY
250-EXPN
250-X-PU-MS.PC
250-X-PU-VERSION-2.1.1
250-X-PU-REG-1023
	Yeah, REALLY!  There it stopped!  "HELO"-responce was
	quite ok, but "EHLO" doesn't yield a final-responce at all :-(

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@nic.funet.fi>