Re: Load-average based SMTP receiver blocking ?

On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> 	When the host load-aver is over the limit, should
> 	it respond with:
[...]
> 		b)	Immediately at connection formation respond
> 			"400 Sorry, the system is too loaded.."
> 			and hangup
> 			( Implemented, works  -- ftp.funet.fi experience.. )

This will probably work best since it seems less likely to confuse the (ahem)
awesomely robust PC Lan mail gateways that we all hold in such awe. :-)
(also known as the principle of least astonishment)

Perhaps the ability to filter on the IP address of the sender before
responding 220/400 would accomplish your goal of maintaining local service as
you stated in option "c"...

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: Andy.Poling@jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  URL: http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~andy/
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (410)516-8096
Johns Hopkins University (Balto, MD)     UUCP: uunet!mimsy!jhunix!andy