Re: scheduler wish list

> I think other people running ZMAILER at high-traffic sites have probably
> run into this same shortcoming...
>
> The is scheduler's inability to maintain state from one instance to
> another. If scheduler dies or the machine dies or is down for some reason,
> all sense of message age disappears.  It would be super useful if
> scheduler kept a record of the state of the messages on disk so that it
> could pick up where it left off.  Naturally, this is a greater problem for
> sites like us who are pushing the envelope (in numerous directions :-) but
> it seems like a necessary feature given ZMAILER's stated design goals.  It
> even already knows how to dump its state (hint - MAILQ and rendezvous
> file) - all that remains is a method of reading it back and making use of
> it.

  Message age is never lost, however scheduler seem to have several
holes in it, but I haven't been able to put my finger on any specifics.
Message age is taken from the original message file  st_ctime, thus
as it is never modified, message age is known.

  Sometimes transport channels, and scheduler loose sync, sometimes
scheduler seem to corrupt its internal database.  Difficult to say
from that pointer spaghetti..   Rayan, you may have some insights ?

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@utu.fi>