RE: SMTP file naming issue?

Thanks to all for the suggestions and clarification.  This approach
worked well for me:

Re-Configuration of process.cf:

  Router moves new messages out to "save" area
    unless "complete" flag exists (deletes flag
    file and continues to rfc822 if it does exist)

  Router copies message to external process

  External process runs and resubmits to router when done

  Router notes it has a copy of this message already,
    copies new contents into original file
      (to preserve inode/timestamp), resets mtime

    deletes this copy

    moves original (now changed) back into queue

    creates a "flag" file indicating this message ready for
      zmailer processing

Kind of a low tech approach, lots of mv/cp/rm/cat calls.  Ugly, but
effective!   Now messages retain the spoolid assigned in the incoming
smtp session; I can track them through all logs.

I haven't noticed any performance issues: but if any of you gurus see a
problem with this approach, please set me straight!  :-)