Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy

I'm just curious about whether anyone has experience with Anti-Spam
SMTP Proxy.  From what I gather, it is an open source SMTP proxy
written in Perl which purports to work with any mail server (even some
of the non-SMTP ones.)  The project page is here:

http://assp.sourceforge.net/

It looks like an intriguing idea and that it would be easier to
implement than a content filter at the "smtpserver" level.  But are
there any pitfalls to mind?

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press