Re: zmailer sending to a DCC system problem

Hi Matti,

An additional difficulty (v 2.99.55) that I see here is that
zmailer appears to push MAIL, RCPT and DATA sequences all together,
not waiting for any result codes first (2xx on MAIL, 4xx on RCPT).

For a remote greylisting site, it would normally send back a 4xx after
RCPT on first contact, but since zmailer didn't wait for it, this causes
the remote to send back a 5xx code in response to the premature DATA
segment, which is then taken as a permanent failure (and the message
never survives for retry in the queue). Here's an example log trail:

x.x03416w  MAIL From:<xxx@aa.bb.cc> BODY=8BITMIME SIZE=29618
x.x03416w  RCPT To:<bbb@xx.yy.zz> NOTIFY=FAILURE,DELAY \
           ORCPT=rfc822;bbb@xx.yy.zz
x.x03416w  DATA
x.x03416r  250 2.1.0 <xxx@aa.bb.cc>... Sender ok
x.x03416r  451 4.7.1 Please try again later (TEMPFAIL)
x.x03416r  503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)
x.x03416#  smtp_sync() did yield code 75
x.x03416w  QUIT

- at least this is the sequence in the smtp log - perhaps the log is
not time-sync'd, and the entries not really in that, I don't know.

It's as if the process continues on without regard to response codes
( not waiting for 2xx after RCPT and pushing DATA before it really
should).

Any ideas on how to get the proper sequencing (if indeed this is a
problem in smtp.c )?

Cheers
-Jim

--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avadh-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (780) 492-8226 [old AC 403]

char*f="char*f=%c%s%c;main(){printf(f,34,f,34,10);}%c";main(){printf(f,34,f,34,10);}
for all that we know the universe could cease to exist at any mo