mailbox

I have just added some code to mailbox that uses the DSPAM API to scan
email for local users before writing to their mailbox and inserts the
X-DSPAM-* headers.  I am currently getting the following back from my
code via scheduler:

20040326155635 Misformed diagnostic1: dspam_init failed!
20040326155635 DBGdiag: # mailbox2:19360: Cannot scan message 149655 for spam!

When I truss the mailbox2 process I see that I have run out of file
descriptors.  I properly use DSPAM shutdown routines that I hope are cleaning
things up.  Do any of you know what I could do to possibly fix this?  Here is
what I have in scheduler.conf:

local/file*
local/pipe*
        interval=5m