Re: spamcop blacklisting servers for misdirected DSN messages

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 01:44, Daryle A. Tilroe wrote:

> >>OK after trying this it does not appear to be a good solution
> >>since it suppresses the postmaster notification as well.  In
> >>other words misaddressed email completely disappears; which
> >>is unacceptable.
> >

> > Not true.  The sender gets DSN, it's just generated by the MTA that was
> > trying to send you the message rather than by your MTA.
>
> This doesn't make sense to me.  The email has been accepted by my
> my MTA and the sender's MTA is out of the picture.  Now it becomes
> a matter of what to do with the email if it cannot be locally
> delivered.  The default is to bounce it back to the sender and also
> notify the local postmaster.  Setting "PARAM force-rcpt-notify-never"
> seems to cause the email to /dev/null itself if no valid local delivery
> can be made.  I have tried it.  I think you may be confusing this
> method with the SMTP session rejection?

I was answering wrong message ;-)
If you explicitly disable DSNs, they are not generated.
I was trying to say that if you reject wrong address on SMTP session
stage, the DSN is generated by the MTA that originated the session.
Sorry for confusion.

Eugene