Re: spamcop blacklisting servers for misdirected DSN messages

In article <S339838AbUCJTxe/20040310195334Z+134@SMTP.Morgan-Systems.com>,
Neal Morgan <Neal@Morgan-Systems.com> wrote:

>For what it's worth, I use a rather non elegant approach to
>handle this.  I have a scheduled job that finds "user doesn't
>exist" messages from syslog, bounces those against known
>valid aliases, taking the truly bad addresses and dynamically
>re-building the smtp-policy.spam file.  The bounce against
>valid aliasses allows me to remove bad addresses if the alias
>has subsequently been made valid.
>
>This doesn't prevent the first attempt to reach a bad address,
>but does prevent subsequent ones, because zmailer will
>reject the message if the "to address" is contained in the
>smtp-policy.spam file.

One problem with this is that some backup MX's (e.g., hosted
by the ISP) are misconfigured in such a way that they will say
valid users do not exist, but the primary MX (e.g., hosted by
the actual company) is correctly configured. So whenever the
primary goes down, valid users will be flagged as invalid.

--
Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <a.c.li@ieee.org>

http://ada.dhs.org/~acli/