RE: Own db of blocked IPs

BIND 9 apparently has support for alternative backends, though I have no idea
how well they work, or how much C coding would be required to get it working
with your system... BIND may be the most popular DNS server out their, and may
have the most features, but it may not be the best for this purpose... Its
extensive security, distrubtion and other advanced features likely wont be
necessary.. (I dont think they are necessaty for 95% of the systems running
BIND  anyway....)

There are a number of existing alternates to BIND which support SQL backends,
but unless you happen to be using the same schema, they may or may not beable
to just read your DB.

I see that there is a Perl DNS server module...

http://www.stanford.edu/~riepel/lbnamed/Stanford-DNSserver/DNSserver.html

Making your own DNS server with a hundred line perl script might be the path of
least resistance.