Re: message tagging...

This is the current theory at my site as well. At the SMTP level, block mail
from a specific list of sites, but do content analysis at a later step.

We have been using MailScanner for a while now, and it works fairly well, but
there are some issues with it. Primaraly is how it deals with the queue dirs...
The quick version is that it is stupid, and even if it was smart, ZMailer keeps
good track of its queues, so it is a duplication of effort.

Personaly, I have toyed with the idea of developing such a scanner, and after
some investigation, I think I found the best place to put it would be in the
cf/process.cf script  (around line 30, just above the case statemnt). I put
together a proof of concept script. It is at a state where it doesnt do much
beyond passing the message to spamassassin and rewriting the header. I was
supposed to do some thinking on how to do virus scanning as well, but never got
around to it. And I have no idea how solid it is, re: lock files, rewriting
queue files on the fly, etc.

MailScanner, for instance, cleans virus infected attachements, so to be feature
compleate against it, some new queue file rewriting methods would be necessary.
OTOH, ZMailer already does some header alterations; for simple spam taging, it
may make sence to somehow get ZMailer to do it.

Anyway, if you want my script to look at and ponder, Ill send it out to the
list..