Re: remote user checking (via ldap) in smtpserver (was: Re: rejecting unknown users)

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:57:15PM -0300, Mariano Absatz wrote:
> For incoming-only (MX) servers, as we don't have the users locally, it is
> pointless to enable-router. But usually, we have access to the internal
> server user database via LDAP (e.g. an Exchange or MCIS server with
> ActiveDirectory).
>
> It'd be really nice to be able to issue an LDAP query at "RCPT TO:" time
> and be able to answer "unknown user" based on that query.
>
> Is this possible (or at least doable, somehow)?

I would, probably, use special perl (or python, or whatever is your
favourite) script emulating the 'smtpserver-router protocol', and run
that under the smtpservers.

Snafu there being: the way to start the router process is hardcoded.
Hmm.. At least the options are.   The  smtpserver  program has '-R'
option that can be used to set, what router binary to use for these
verification tasks.