Re: different expiration time for DSN

Hi Eugene,

I saw a similar situation, with these silly autogenerated nonsense name
strings that spammer tools spit out, ie like:

	xzxoasp440, y23giafbp, y624nyzxar, y822wyqj, etc.

Typically these would come in as a result of some email virus forgery
problem where MX's at remote site send us back bounces of infected
machines' crappy traffic (where the From: line got forged to our domain
by the virus).

I dealt with it this way:

  1) I modified our spam filter to also check on recipient user existence
     - basically, do a query using zmailer's router function and deliver
       back to the content-filter an additional numerical result:

		0 for OK, -1 for SPAM, -2 for NOUSER

  2) content-filter modified appropriately to deliver an error string
     back to smtpserver in cases of NOUSER:

	'550 5.1.1 User does not exist'

So this way, if a local destination doesn't exist, the SMTP transaction
terminates, and I don't have a queue problem at all, since it's caught
and dealt with in the SMTP chat.

It's a crude hack, but it works. I'm not entirely sure, however if
sending a '550 5.1.1' in the DATA phase instead of the RCPT phase
breaks any fundamentals, but the remote servers seem ok with it
(as they do send a 'QUIT' :-)

Example:
2PUW01526r      MAIL From:<> SIZE=1468 BODY=8BITMIME
2PUW01526w      250 2.1.0 Sender syntax Ok
2PUW01526r      RCPT To:<i_tysonhq@phys.ualberta.ca>
2PUW01526w      250 2.1.5 Ok; can accomodate 1468 byte message for <i_tysonhq@phys.ualberta.ca>
2PUW01526r      DATA
2PUW01526w      354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
2PUW01526#      policyprogram said: -1 550 5.1.1 User does not exist
2PUW01526#      Content-policy analysis ordered message rejection. (code=-1); msg='550 5.1.1 User does not exist'
2PUW01526w      550 5.1.1 User does not exist
2PUW01526r      QUIT

Cheers,
-Jim

--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avadh-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (780) 492-8226 [old AC 403]

char*f="char*f=%c%s%c;main(){printf(f,34,f,34,10);}%c";main(){printf(f,34,f,34,10);}
for all that we know the universe could cease to exist at any mo