Re: Suppressing error-on-error

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 23:27, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 06:04:40PM +0100, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> > Is there any way I can suppress generation of error-on-error messages
> > in the postman directory?
> >
> > We're using ZMailer to collect bounces & we're ending up with vast
> > numbers of messages in postman/ as a result of double bounces which
> > frankly we're never going to look at.
> >
> > If not, how should I go about adding it?
>
> Maybe a daily cron run:
>
>   find /var/postoffice/postman -type f -mtime +6 -print | xargs rm -f

+6 is too much; I have to have it +2 and still postman is terribly
crowded.  Should I say that I never look there?  These postman files
seem to be yet another source of strain to the disk io subsystem.  Which
is the actually the main bottleneck here.

(another one is non-delivery reports that scheduler generates
synchronously, apparently fsync()ing after each one, thus blocking the
rest of the queue)

> Codewise, there is magic 3-value playing with "no_error_report" variable
> in  scheduler/msgerror.c  file.
>
> another way to silence is, I think (my head hurts following that code's
> logic -- and I wrote it years ago :-/ ) by adding following line into top
> of the  MAILSHARE/forms/deliver  file:
>     ADR Bcc: <nobody>
>
> Then the error messages will always have at least one recipient: local
> mr. Nobody.

Eugene