Re: cd man ; make ; make install

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:23:10AM -0300, Mariano Absatz wrote:
> OK,
>
> I understand you're just doing this large revamp, but at least on the system
> I'm playing around now (RedHat 7.3), the "man" command doesn't understand the
> .Xzm extensions that the manpages are getting...

Damn.  My actual "will it work ?"  bechmark was Solaris 8, and it
did work in there as well as at Linux (RH 9:ish), so I committed it.

At Solaris 8 I noticed that header line
     .\" t
does not automatically run   tbl(1)  for the nroff source before
doing actual nroffing.  Solaris man-pages did say to use:
     '\" t
instead, and that appears to work properly both at Solaris, and
at Linux (RH 9:ish.)

All this "fun" begun with an observation of clashing with inn's
"sm.8" page.  In some situations the 'sm' TA module in ZMailer
is called 'smcm', which I don't see colliding in my system, but
who knows...    Simultaneously there is no reason to change
filename of that binary, is there ?  (Which leads to interesting
problems in finding those man-pages...)

E.g. Should all man-pages be prefixed with  "zm-"  (besides
of "zmailer.1"), and be referred as such in all documentation ?

At least then it would be highly unlikely to have any namespace
collisions.

> I even tried adding ".zm" in /etc/man.config, to no avail...
> Maybe pages should be renamed into something else?
> If this is just a "I'll do this next week" thing, just tell me so and
> that'll be OK...

"Damned if I do. Damned is I don't..."

> Regards.

/Matti Aarnio