Re: Policy analysis found DNS error on the target domain

Good morning.

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 01:05:30AM +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:36:17PM +0100, Andrew Marlow wrote:
> > This makes the error at MAIL FROM go away.
> > However, I now get an error at the RCPT TO stage.
> > Here's what fetchmail says:
> >
> > fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<marlowa@localhost>
> > fetchmail: SMTP< 550 5.4.3 Policy analysis found DNS error on the target
> > domain: <marlowa@localhost>
> > fetchmail: SMTP error: 550 5.4.3 Policy analysis found DNS error on the
> > target domain: <marlowa@localhost>
> > fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `marlowa@localhost'
> > fetchmail: SMTP< 220 localhost ZMailer Server 2.99.55 #3 ESMTP+IDENT ready
> > at Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:32:47 +0100

I checked at how I support local users sending with PINE, which does
that very same  <user@localhost>  thing on occasion.

I have in  $MAILVAR/db/smtp-policy.relay  file an entry:

  # Loopback
  [127.0.0.1]/32  fulltrustnet +

which effectively means: whatever is sent thru localhost is _not_
scrutinized in any way.

Nevertheless I still recommend the thing I outlined late in the evening
for  fetchmail  use.   As dangerous as it is to say things that one
should never do, current fetchmail documentation says that you shall
not do:    mda "/usr/lib/sendmail -t"
You wonder why ?   Becase '-t' means it picks addresses from visible
headers, which in general are not telling where the email is going
to at the moment.  Those headers might have had correspondence with
real target addresses, when message originator made it, but hardly
ever afterwards.