Re: Mail not bounced after a 5xx error

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 04:33:10PM +0200, wilbert.schapendonk@nld.mci.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Zmailer 2.99.56-pre4 #1 from CVS and are experiencing a
> problem where zmailer leaves mail in the queue when the remote server
> issues a 5xx error after the 'MAIL FROM' command and an additional 5xx
> error when zmailer continues with a 'RCPT TO' command.

The PIPELINING reply processing is apparently not doing correct thing
for some reason.  A BUG.

To debug it, having actual domains (spammer, and recipient) known
would help me considerably.

> Is there a way to get these messages bounced after the first delivery
> attempt?

Possibly by routing them to "smtp77" channel, which essentially forbids
PIPELINING (and many other advanced (difficult) features.)

The "man smtp" says, that "-P" option disables PIPELINING, which
definitely fixes the buggy behaviour.