Re: 2.99.55 caused DoS attack

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 01:21:01PM -0500, Roy Bixler wrote:
> My day today has been rather "interesting" so far.
> Campus networking twice had to disable the network port for our
> Z-Mailer 2.99.55 mail server due to DoS attack on their name servers.
> The first time, I had already concluded that a transport agent was
> responcible.  It was trying to resolve an MX to mx0.onemustfall.com
> and making constant queries to the DNS to do that.  It was most likely
> a piece of bounced spam and certainly onemustfall.com has defective DNS
> records, but it's equally a mystery why it would cause the transport

Single message ?  Or hundres of them ?
(and all to that domain ?)

> agent to bomb our DNS servers.  In the interest of getting our mail
> server back on the network as soon as possible, I deleted all the spam
> from the postoffice.  After re-starting Z-Mailer, the problem was solved.

That domain is yielding SERVFAIL,  I recall something of that type
was once upon a time causing quick loop kind of problems.

I pulled the 2.99.55 version, and compiled it.
There is test tool  'getmxrr-test',  which tests the DNS lookup facility.
Indeed that tool should be in your  $MAILBIN/  directory, too.

  $MAILBIN/getmxrr-test  mx0.onemustfall.com

In my test system, the freshly compiled 2.99.55 version runs very slowly.
(Observed by running it in  strace  )  Same as does up to date CVS version.

There have been glibc related problems, which may cause some problems of
their own, e.g. address lookups spin fast.

> The system is running Debian woody on x86 with Linux
> v. 2.4.19-pre7aa1.  The ZMailer is the 2.99.55-3 Debian packaging, but
> looking at the Debian patches, no significant changes were made to
> ZMailer source code to produce the package.  One other interesting
> note is that I had 3 nameserver entries in my /etc/resolv.conf file
> and our campus DNS people were complaining that, in addition to the
> DoS attack, DNS queries were going out to all 3 nameservers at once.
>
> In the aftermath, I configured a BIND9 caching DNS server on localhost
> and added a special route for messages to the 'onemustfall.com' domain:
>
> .onemustfall.com    bitbucket!
>
> If it would be useful for debugging, I could try to dig up the exact
> message causing the problem.  Even better, hopefully this bug has been
> fixed already and my problem is running an old version of ZMailer.

Do look at what the  getmxrr-test  tool does.
If runs very fast, it would definitely indicate something to be amiss.
Possibly in system libc ...

Reading the ChangeLog  file, I have done some changes relating to
that a week after 2.99.55-patch1 was published.  I can't say for
sure of those might help.