fast relaying, antivirus

Hello,

I am providing, mail system which consists of several mail
servers, each running on Zmailer. I have one central gate
for incoming mails and several servers where users
mailboxes are situated (gate exists, because each user
has same domain name @xxx.yy but mailbox is on various server)

internet

+-------+
| gate  |--+->zmailer1
|zmailer|  |
+-------+  +--zmailer2

           +--zmailerN

1) zmailer on gate just relays, I tried to set maximum speed
   of relaying in scheduler.conf

     smtp/z1.xxx.yy
     interval=10s
     maxchannel=240
     maxring=40

   - is there any way to get higher speed of relaying?
   - another "feature" is, that there is always only one connection
     at the same time to the target machine
     (maybe it is due to fact that I have very
      old version of zmailer (2.99.51.52))

2) I would like install antivirus and spam filters on gate.
   There is no option for antivirus in smtpserver config file,
   but I know, that content filter function
   exists in smtpserver sources, so i could use this function...

   Do you have any tips for using zmailer with
   antivirus and spamfilters?
   (performance tips, which antivirus and why?)

I am using zmailer for several years and I am very satisfied,
and I don't want change, but maybe in case of using
as "gate" - Sendmail,Qmail... should be more suitable,
I don't know...

I will be grateful for any idea
best regard
Martin