SMTP problem

We run various zmailer versions here and all are having problem
talking to one mailer.  I do not know what the destination is (yet)
but here is what it does (with the names changed):

220 xxxx.yyy.co.uk ESMTP service
EHLO mailman.widearea.co.uk
250-xxxx.yyy.co.uk talking to mailman.widearea.co.uk ([194.70.234.5])
250-SIZE 0
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-DSN
250-AUTH
250 8BITMIME
MAIL From:<shb@widearea.co.uk> BODY=8BITMIME SIZE=525
250 2.0.0 shb@widearea.co.uk OK
RCPT To:<wwww@zzzz.co.uk> NOTIFY=FAILURE ORCPT=rfc822;wwww@zzzz.co.uk
550 5.7.1 Bad recipient format -- possible relay attempt

I can make two further observations:

-- if I talk directly to the server and say this:

RCPT To:<wwww@zzzz.co.uk> NOTIFY=FAILURE ORCPT=rfc822;

it is happy

-- looking in our log files, the only mailer which I can see which
puts something after the ';' is zmailer.  Is that true and can it be
disabled.

Regards,
Simon.