RE: local user capitalization problem.

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Crispin Bivans wrote:

> A possible workaround for your situation would be to create a 2nd user with
> the same unix UID in a lowercase version.. It would be a bit of deception
> that may 'work' while still allowing those users to use their Mixed case
> user. Some unix commands may return the lowercase name (it'd have to be
> tested) but definitely the 'forward' lookups on username to uid should work.

I'm not sure how our popper would react to this. Plus, there are ~200 bash
scripts that modify the password file to do all the account processing.
Finding them all would be a lifes work. (Well, maybe not 200, but you get
my point. Hey, I didn't write the system.)

> But in general the much easier thing would be to eliminate those mixed case
> names.

That's about 100 emails I would rather not send out.

Our current version (2.99.50-s19) does all this perfectally fine, so I
figured it was just a hidden configuration variable that I missed
somewhere. This is starting to look like a source code modification. Fun.

Johnathan Thibodeau
Chebucto Community Net