Re: zmailer performance

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 03:05:07PM +0000, Martin Zedek wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I provide ZMAILER (zmailer-2.99.51.52pre3.orig)
> and NFS server on one machine.
> Everything is OK, zmailer delivers mail on local
> filesystem (ext2 - hardware raid5 used)
> and clients use access through NFS to view them.

  That sounds like a Linux system.

> The problem is that sometimes NFS rapidly losts
> permormance. If I try view mail locally, I get
> fast reply, when I use remote access throug NFS,
> access is 10times worser.
>
> After stopping zmailer, NFS replies in 1s again.

  Possibly out of memory buffers, or some such.
  Which Linux kernel version ?

  A better place for this is   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
  or  linux-net@vger.kernel.org

  Suggested Subject: "NFS performance degrades when big local
  programs are run".   Do remember to tell kernel version, and
  how much memory your machine has.  Other technical data about
  the machine, and kernel configuration might be usable for
  debugging too.

> I think, there is no problem with disk performance
> (local reply is very fast). Do you think, there
> could be any connection betwen ZMAILER and NFS and
> forexample NETWORK performance??? (network transfers
> are about 1.5MB per s. (100MBit ethernet))

  I prefer that experts of Linux kernel memory management,
  and NFS services reply to you.