Re: redundant routes in db/routes?

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:27:13PM -0600, Devin Reade wrote:
> Is it possible to have multiple routes specified in the
> db/routes for a particular subdomain?  For example, if the
> routes file currently reads:
> 	subdom.example.com	smtp!host-a.example.com
> is it possible to have something like
> 	subdom.example.com	smtp!host-a.example.com
> 	subdom.example.com	smtp!host-b.example.com

  Alas no.  Can't do.

  In theory the system contains a glimmering of a design for
XOR handling of addresses, but it got never fully implemented.

> The desire is to have a redundant route to host-a for when
> this machine cannot reach host-a but can reach host-b (and host-b
> knows how to forward mail to host-a).  Yes, I know that this is the
> canonical example of when to use DNS MX records to obtain redundancy,
> however there are other reasons for not wanting host-a to appear as
> an MX in any zone files.

  Perhaps (I am not entirely sure) you can define multiple addresses
  with same hostname at the  /etc/hosts  file:
         1.1.1.1  gw-host-name
         2.2.2.2  gw-host-name

  It will be somewhat random, which address is tried first.