Re: BLIND OPEN RELAY HELP

Hi Matti,

Date sent:      	Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:54:29 +0300
From:           	Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>
To:             	Alexey Lobanov <aal@cpr.spb.ru>
Copies to:      	zmailer@nic.funet.fi
Subject:        	Re: BLIND OPEN RELAY HELP

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 11:22:24AM +0400, Alexey Lobanov wrote:

> > I'm afraid, this man asks the traditional question of all
> > Internet Scouts: "How to hide|forge completely my IP address"? :-)

>   Well, just because in NORMAL case we like to keep everything
>   trackable does not preclude that *sometimes* there is need to
>   hide your tracks really well.
>
>     http://www.stack.nl/~galactus/remailers/index-mix.html

Are you sure that those "anon remailers" do not log all the
transactions? And those logs can be read upon recipient
(argumented) request. So, it does not seem to be "really well"
anonymity.

>   Consider "whistle blowing" -- the thing at which insiders sometimes
>   call outsider's attention to serious problems.
>
>   But yes, ZMailer does not support it in itself.

Actually, it supports. If you own a mailhost, you can eaisily
inject messages in input queue by many different ways instead of
SMTP. UUCP, etc. And the recipient will see a message originated
from local server user (i.e, nobody), nothing more. That's OK
for hiding corporate network internals. For instance, my users
(and me) place their mail to a Samba fileserver fake print queue
(Novell/DHarris Mercury heritage). See this message headers: you
do not see my Windows workstation IP in it. Instead, you see my
Unix UID: maybe, it is not very good :-)

And surely, the original Ali's message is very unclear. It has
many interpretations. For instance, what does it mean in
reality: "to buy a smtp mailserver" :-)? The range vary from Zmailer source
download to ISP co-location service.

Alexey