Re: more disk spinnin' stuff

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 10:42:21PM -0800, dana_booth wrote:
> Okay, so I feel like a dork for subscribing to this list wrong...
>
> I wonder if anyone had responded to a question I'd put here earlier about
> disk time with 2.99.55?

  Check the list archive - also available in HTML.
  (Info is at  www.zmailer.org  page.)

  I find the phenomena you report somewhat surprising.
  I don't see it myself.

  However I can guess situations where such may happen.
  Namely if you have LARGE directories in $POSTOFFICE/, those
  may need lots of readdir() activity.

  You don't see anything at  $LOGDIR/router  or  $LOGDIR/scheduler
  files ?  (Anything peculiar which accumulates fast, that is..)

  Could you pinpoint it to one or three subsystems:
		smtpserver
		router
		scheduler
  That is, shut-down the entire system, ($MAILBIN/zmailer kill), and
  then start them one at the time (e.g. "$MAILBIN/zmailer scheduler")

  Wait for a while in between each subsystem starts to see if that
  somebody gets wild -- oh, and have "top" running too, lots of IO
  activity *should* be associated with at least *some* CPU load.