Re: mailq on solaris 8

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 08:46:27PM -0400, Trent MacDougall wrote:
> I just built the latest zmailer from CVS on a Solaris 8 box and get the
> following:
>
> mail$ mailq -sv
> mailq: cannot find address of localhost
> mail$ uname -a
> SunOS mail 5.8 Generic_108528-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi-Engine
> mail$

   Now if you are able to re-run 'make' in the scheduler/ directory
   so that you at first remove the 'mailq' binary, you should see
   linkage operation, and its tail has these libraries, possibly
   in this order:

     -lresolv -lnsl -lsocket -lxnet

   Unfortunately I have no clue as to what Sol8 does, 2.5 (I think)
   did introduce the  -lxnet,  which is nice call interface to the
   socket syscalls, but usage of  -lresolv  needs also  -lnsl and
   -lsocket so that it won't barf mysteriously.

   Hmm...  now  '-lresolv -lxnet' pair works just fine at that machine.
   Very weird...    Ah, if it tries now do (and finds!) object named
   in the  /etc/hosts, it gets a SIGSEGV.  Those "-lnsl -lsocket"
   must be in there for the thing to work reliably at Sol 2.6.
   (nsswitch.conf says:  "hosts: files dns")

   The supplied  gethostbyname()  call resolves "localhost" internally.

   Solaris 8  gethostbyname()  does things differently, no doubt...

   Oh yes, you *do* have 'localhost' at '/etc/hosts' file ??