Router rejection corrupts syslog and header

Greetings.  I recently implemented router rejection for invalid addresses on
inbound messages.  The rejection process appears to work correctly.  In the
process, however, I'm experiencing a couple unexpected side effects.  First,
router logging to syslog for messages sent by users in the domain in question
incorrectly shows the sender as <>, while showing the recipient correctly.
Second, and more important, this loss of the sender's address seems to also be
happening on the envelope because if the receiving system attempts to return the
message as undeliverable it fails when it gets to my server as also
undeliverable.

My hope is I have missed a configuration step and someone will enlighten me!

I'm running 2.99.54 on Debian Linux.  For clarity, here is an example of the
entries I made:

in routes
Domain1.com               error!nosuchuser

in fqdnaliases
user1@Domain1.com:        user1
user2@Domain1.com:        user2

Thanks!