Re: malformed i-node-names at "TRANSPORT" directory ...

Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>
> 	Therefore I would like to know if there really exists such
> 	monsters, and how come  rename()  won't preserve i-node
> 	while link()/unlink() will ?

After a bit of thought, here it is.

  1. All file systems support up to n hardlinks, for a
     system-dependent value of n.

  2. All file systems for which n>1 preserve inode number during
     rename() when the file's number of hardlinks is >1.

I think it's safe to assume that

  3. All file qsystems for which n>1 preserve inode number during
     rename().

IIRC there's a posix function that'll give you the maximum number of
hardlinks for the file. Calling that at startup and aborting if the
result is 1 sounds okay.

--Arnt