Re: MX weirdness

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 02:24:21PM -0700, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> Running zmailer from CVS as of June 13 I ran into this problem trying to
> send mail to the domain mvista.com.  The two MX'es for the domain
> mvista.com are apocalypse.mvista.com and messenger.mvista.com:
> And this is the delivery-status data:

> Note that the remote side 64.39.30.15 which is the host mvista.com which is
> none of the mail exchangers for the domain mvista.com, so why did zmailer
> try to contact it.  Is this a known / fixed problem?

    It looks like  getmxrr()  function didn't (for some reason) get
    the A records for the MX hosts, and thus discarded it and picked
    possible existing A for  mvista.com  (which exists).

    Hopefully fixed.

    Well, you don't mention your operating system so I can't say for sure,
    as the problem really seems to lurk at  GLIBC  getaddrinfo() function,
    or in its old precursor used at ZMailer for systems without that function
    in the  libc  or socket libraries.

    Around the beginning of August I rewrote the  getaddrinfo()  as it exists
    at ZMailer's "additional libc function implementations" set, and made it
    compatible (with corrections) with the current glibc (version 2.2).

    Now the frequency I see similar problems has dropped considerably.
    (Right down to zero, in fact.)

    CVS version only, at the moment.