selecting a new mail server

Howdy,

There is an opportunity to upgrade our mail machine
which is currently a Sun SS5/170 running SunOS4.1.4
running Zmailer 2.99.51.

A couple of alternatives are Sun/Solaris or PC/Linux
setups. I suspect either would work fine.

I would be interested in hearing from people who have
changed their mail server lately.

Some background. This is an education/research
department with about 500 users with a heteorgenous
computing environment - many different boxes mostly
running UNIX.

There is an increasing number of Linux and NT systems.

Mail is picked up by NFS,  with an increasing use of
pop and imap servers. Daily traffic is a few 10s of
thousands of messages comprising a very few 100s of
MB of filespace.

I seldom get asked for input on hardware/os selection
so any advice/experience you can offer would be
appreciated.

Bruce Wm Folliott