Re: spam blocking

"Roy C. Bixler" wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > http://www.hrweb.org/spambouncer/sb.rc has some
> > predefined. It goes very far in not only filtering
> > out known SPAM urls, but also known SPAM and hoax
> > subjects.
> >
> > For this I would like every incoming mail to go through
> > this and forwarded to postmaster if most likely SPAM.
> > Of course after zmailer's policy already passed it through -
> > I'm not an addict :)
>
> It is possible to set up procmail as the local delivery agent;
> see the lines under 'local/*' in scheduler.conf.  Then, procmail
> will only be invoked after a mail has already passed the
> SMTP gateway policy.  And this little bit from the procmail
> man page:
>
>        If no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command
>        line,  procmail  will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc,
>        interpret  commands  from  /etc/procmailrc  (if  present).
>        Care must be taken when creating /etc/procmailrc, because,
>        if circumstances permit, it will  be  executed  with  root
>        privileges  (contrary  to  the  $HOME/.procmailrc  file of
>        course).
>
> makes me think that what you propose can be done.

Well, this is for delivering to local users then. But I would like to
have it for everything, the mailing lists, the aliases, etc. So I would
love having it integrated in the receiving section, rather than the
delivering.

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.