Re: spam blocking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> http://www.hrweb.org/spambouncer/sb.rc has some
> predefined. It goes very far in not only filtering
> out known SPAM urls, but also known SPAM and hoax
> subjects.
>
> For this I would like every incoming mail to go through
> this and forwarded to postmaster if most likely SPAM.
> Of course after zmailer's policy already passed it through -
> I'm not an addict :)

It is possible to set up procmail as the local delivery agent;
see the lines under 'local/*' in scheduler.conf.  Then, procmail
will only be invoked after a mail has already passed the
SMTP gateway policy.  And this little bit from the procmail
man page:

       If no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command
       line,  procmail  will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc,
       interpret  commands  from  /etc/procmailrc  (if  present).
       Care must be taken when creating /etc/procmailrc, because,
       if circumstances permit, it will  be  executed  with  root
       privileges  (contrary  to  the  $HOME/.procmailrc  file of
       course).

makes me think that what you propose can be done.

Regards,

--
Roy Bixler
The University of Chicago Press