Re: SMTP relay problem

At 12:48 pm +0100 13/4/00, Matti Aarnio wrote:
<snip>
I agree completely that an address
"user2@mac.radparker.com"@[aa.bb.cc.dd] is a fine but....

>  > I think this is a problem...
>
>	No.

I don't understand why this is not a problem.  The trouble is that
the script at mail-abuse.org checks it and marks a mailer which
accepts it as an open relay.   From there, it reaches the MAPS RSS
and mail stops getting delivered to other sites.

On that basis, I could register nic.funet.fi as an open relay and it
will be marked as an open relay because it does not reject their test.

Entertaingly, I have just tried this on the qmail and sendmail
primary MX sites (hmmm).  Qmail accepts the address but sendmail does
not:

telnet smtp.sendmail.com 25
Trying 209.246.26.35...
Connected to smtp.sendmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 katroo.Sendmail.COM ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Thu, 13 Apr 2000
05:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
HELO derek.widearea.co.uk
250 katroo.Sendmail.COM Hello IDENT:root@derek.widearea.co.uk
[194.70.234.12], pleased to meet you
MAIL From: <>
250 <>... Sender ok
RCPT To: <"user2@mac.radparker.com"@[192.203.178.8]>
550 <"user2@mac.radparker.com"@[192.203.178.8]>... Relaying denied
QUIT
221 katroo.Sendmail.COM closing connection

Now if this is not a problem, how do we get zmailer installations
which are listed as open relays off MAPS RSS?

Simon.