scheduler opens up port 112

How do I go about closing port 112 which seems to be opened up by the
scheduler?  If this is not possible, how do I restrict access to it or log
connections to it (without using firewalls)?  Right now, anyone can telnet
to this port and see some stats, including the uptime of my machine:

version zmailer 1.0
Vertices:
End:
Kids: 0  Idle:  0  Msgs:   0  Thrds:   0  Rcpnts:    0  Uptime: 1d27m48s
Connection closed by foreign host.

I've scoured the listlog archives back to 1995 but don't see any mention
of port 112.  I've only found mention of port 174/tcp in the docs.

Port 112 turns up as yet another SMTP server on the Nessus scanner and
something called "mcidas" on nmap.

Aldrin Caraang
HCC Academic Computing