Re: router alias expansion problem - upgrading from 2.99.48 to 2.99.51

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Mark Visser wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > This is a very serious problem. ORBS has been a good spamblock
> > mechanism for a mailing list server, but if problems like these
> > surface it will be unacceptable to continue using ORBS :(
> >
> > I hope that the ORBS people will be able to solve this problem
> > somehow and continue doing the great work they've done over the
> > years.

Yes, if you're going to be aggressive in finding open relays, then it
implies being just as aggressive at delisting them when they are fixed.

> telnet mail-abuse.org
> Relay test 11
> <<< 250 2.0.0 Ok
> <<< 250 2.1.0 Sender syntax Ok
> <<< 250 2.1.5 Recipient address syntax Ok
> Relay test result
> Uh oh, host appeared to accept a message for relay.
> The host may reject this message internally, however
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> However, the mail didn't reach relaytest@mail-abuse.org. Instead
> spamtest@testhost.domain.com got it back stating
> "relaytest@mail-abuse.org" is not a user on this host.

'mail-abuse.org' is Paul Vixie's MAPS domain, not ORBS.

But, just recently, I submitted my own mail server for ORBS testing and it
passed their tests.  The test shown above wasn't a part of their battery.
But, even if it is, the test should not be deemed a positive unless the
ORBS tester actually receives the message it sent back. As it happens
(paraphrasing the 'mail-abuse.org' testor), "that message was rejected
internally."

--
Roy Bixler
The University of Chicago Press