is /.forward intended to be magic?

I've found a rather unexpected Z-mailer behaviour and wondered whether
it's bug or feature.  Under Z-Mailer 2.99.51 or 2.99.50s19, if I have
a /.forward file, then (regardless of whether / is anyone's home
directory) all mail to any local unknown users will get sent according
to the /.forward file.  I tripped over this one while customising the
'redirect()' function in crossbar.cf and finding out the hard way that
the introduction of /.forward broke my redirection.  (The funny thing is,
if I'd known about this behaviour beforehand, I might not have tried
tinkering with 'redirect()'!)

Anyway, if this magical treatment of /.forward is a bug, then the patch
below fixes it and once again causes mail to unknown local users to bounce.
Er, w/o a special 'redirect()', that is. ;-)

*** ./cf.old/aliases.cf     Wed Mar 31 08:54:45 1999
--- ./cf/aliases.cf         Tue Jul 27 12:18:17 1999
*** 452,458 ****

  #     only allow .forward file reading if privs allow it

!       hashomedir=0
        if homedir="$(homedirectory "$user")" ; then
                hashomedir=1
        else

--
Roy Bixler