Re: configuration inconsistency. MX usage forbidden..

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 mea@nic.funet.fi wrote:

> > In the archive i find a few messages regarding this problem (SunOS 5.6/gcc
> > 2.8.x) (i.e. 21/01/1999).
> >
> > Symptom is that the server won't process mx records correctly. When you
> > try to mail to user@this.domain.nl the mx server is this.domain.nl
> > although in dns the mxrecords points to mail.domain.nl.
> >
> > I stumbled upon this last week and didn't directly want to comment out
> > line 631 in smtp.c as mentioned in the discussion at that time.
>
> 	I am afraid your line 631 has nothing in common with mine..
> 	A context diff would be more usefull.

Damn..busy ;)

Ok, behaviour I see, is that after a succesfull smtp connection (ehlo,
mail from, rcpt to, data, quit) the mail is sent to the errorchannel with
info:

19990412183904 /opt/zmailer/bin/ta/smtp: 77288/89//error2 smtp; 500
(configuration inconsistency. MX usage forbidden, no address in the DNS:
'nl.uu.net')

The address that is not in the DNS is the part after @ in the rcpt to
command. It happens always, unless the domain after @ is a hostname and
accepts mail.

> > Any other solution yet, i.e. fixes to source ?
>
> 	Only encounter I have had with that problem was quickly cured
> 	by switching back to gcc 2.7.2, and since then I haven't had
> 	courage to try it again -- I don't have any idle Solaris SPARC
> 	machines where to try it...

Switching back to 2.7.2.3 works, but it isn't handy that gcc 2.8.0 doesn't
do it right....Now how to fix that....

> 	I think it relates to optimization at SPARCs (or the particular
> 	model of SPARC we have), and compiling without "-O" might produce
> 	working binary.  Could you care to try ?

Doesn't make any difference.

> 	Anyway, I use gcc-2.7.2, or egcs-1.1.2, or some vendor specific
> 	compiler -- depending the platform...

2.7.2.3 works.

Mark

Mark Visser / Calslaan 26-31              | E-mail: mark@dnd.utwente.nl
7522 MC Enschede / Telephone: 053-4895038 | SNT-mail: mark@snt.utwente.nl
Warning: You can get rid of all the bugs by disabling them from the main menu.