[Raw Msg Headers][Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Errors via UUCP -- problem

Hello.  I use UUCP feed to get mail.  Both my feed and I are
using ZMailer, my feed relays mail for me.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing problems with error messages
sent over UUCP.  Instead of returning it to me, my ZMailer
finds errors in error message and sends error message to
the error message. ;)  To make it clearer, here's a sample
of my ZMailer's reply sent to the Net:

>From mailer-daemon Fri Mar 19 23:52:03 1999 remote from pb181.krakow.ppp.tpnet.pl
Received: by atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl id <1445138-11797>; Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:51:53 +0100
To:     Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@aol.com>
From:   The Post Office - Menedzer Poczty <postmaster@atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl>
Sender: mailer-daemon@atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl
Subject: Invalid message envelope information
Message-Id: <19990319225154Z1445138-11797+8@atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl>
Date:   Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:51:53 +0100

The following message arrived with illegal envelope data, typically a
mangled address that doesn't obey the RFC822/976 protocol specification.
If you do not recognize the source of the bad header, perhaps you should
contact a Postmaster at your site and ask why your mail was rejected.

Your message is being returned unprocessed.

The following annotated envelope headers illustrate the error(s):

Error in "from" envelope address:

        gucio!< >
              ^-expected word, missing end of mailbox

The entire original message file follows.

todsn ORCPT=rfc822;atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl!majordomo
to atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl!majordomo
with UUCP
rcvdfrom gucio
from gucio!<>
Received: from aolmbd05.mx.aol.com ([]:19204 "EHLO aolmbd05.mx.aol.com" ident: "TIMEDOUT") by gucio.gorlice.top.pl with ESMTP id <747706-18335>; Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:53:26 +0100
Received: from rly-zd02.mx.aol.com (rly-zd02.mail.aol.com [])
          by aolmbd05.mx.aol.com (8.8.8/8.8.5/AOL-2.0.0)
          with ESMTP id OAA14028 for <majordomo@atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl>;
          Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:46:35 -0500 (EST)
Received: from localhost (localhost)
          by rly-zd02.mx.aol.com (8.8.8/8.8.5/AOL-4.0.0)
          with internal id OAA03019;
          Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:46:31 -0500 (EST)
Date:   Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:46:31 -0500 (EST)
From:   Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@aol.com>
Message-Id: <199903191946.OAA03019@rly-zd02.mx.aol.com>
To:     <majordomo@atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)

The original message was received at Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:46:26 -0500 (EST)
from dns.gorlice.top.pl []


Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its
delivery.  The AOL address which was undeliverable is listed in the section
labeled: "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----".

I think the problem is somewhere in ZMailer. :(

BTW one more thing about UUCP.
I'm maintaining a mailing list (that's why I get these errors ;)),
maintained by Majordomo.  When I used sendmail it used to create
two or three UUCP rmail packages (with about 15 target envelope
addresses in each).  ZMailer creates individual package for
each address (which isn't efficent).  I tried changing "U" flag
to "Um" in sm.conf (and changing the whole line) but instead
of correcting it, the mails bounced back.  How should the
UUCP sm.conf line look to work similar-to-sendmail (or maybe
something should be changed elsewhere).


      Dawid Kuroczko
      .------------------.                                .----------.
      | *Dawid Kuroczko* `--.----------------------------=' _Kraków_ |
      | q n e x @knm.org.pl | #define MKCTL_MAGIC 0xDEADBABEBADC0DED |